Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Darwin's Immediate Book Meme

Simcha Fisher is joining Mrs. Darwin in the Immediate Book Meme, so I though I'd join in too. Because I have too many books to read... and am reading too many right now.

1. What book are you reading now?


The Building of Christendom by Warren H. Carroll

This is the second in a five volume series that details the rise and fall of Christendom, by which Carroll means the regions in which the Christian faith came to dominate, not necessarily Christianity itself.  He by no means white washes some of the ugliness of history (unlike some Catholic historical treatments), but he does highlight the ebb and flow of Christian civilization throughout the last two millennia. I'm a bit over halfway through and am thoroughly enjoying it. I've got vol. 3 waiting in the wings.

2. What book did you just finish?


The Galilean Jewishness of Jesus by Fr. Bernard Lee.

The mentor from diaconal formation was purging his library offered me a bunch of his books. This one caught my eye, as I've been fascinated by this topic since I wrote my MA thesis. So much of biblical analysis of the last two hundred years has been essentially projection of the interpreter's values onto the text (eisegesis rather than exegesis). I've always considered it vital to understand the audience, linguistic, and cultural contexts in which the Gospel stories take place. This is Lee's attempt at addressing the issue. While I wasn't dissatisfied with it, I can't say it edified me as much as The Nazarene by Eugenio Zolli. But, then, Zolli's backstory also makes the book that much more intriguing. 

3. What do you plan to read next?

Hmmmm. Good question. Probably...


although anything that pops up in my radar could be fair game.

4. What book do you keep meaning to finish?

Yeah, about that. I've got a bit of a backlog.
















Probably a whole lot of others.

5. What book do you keep meaning to start?

All of them.

6. What is your current reading trend?

Mostly Christian history, philosophy, and theology. A bit of fantasy fiction thrown into the mix. I would love to read more fiction, but get so torn about what to read.

7. What are you reading out loud? 

Simcha added this one, and my reason for reading out loud is way different than hers. 


Have to read it out loud to practice! This was a great discover from my brother Deacon Scott Pearhill. It's laid out a lot like the Navarre Bible Series, with the Hebrew text and the translation next to it, with commentary. Scott's was so loaded with notes—I feel like a slacker for not marking mine up.

So that's most of what's on my list. If you want to join, here are the questions for you to answer.

1. What book are you reading now?
2. What book did you just finish?
3. What do you plan to read next?
4. What book do you keep meaning to finish?
5. What book do you keep meaning to start?

6. What is your current reading trend?
[and Simcha's additional question:] 7. What are you reading out loud? 

 
Post a Comment