Thursday, October 31, 2013

What has changed?

I've had several people come up to me in the past few days and ask, "Do you feel any different?"

No. And yes. Do I feel more confident of my opinions, more holy, more virtuous? Not really. But I do feel a sense of joy at being able to impart blessings on people, and I do have to say that I am feeling a lot more love for people. I have had very few down moments in the last few days, and Mac (the other new deacon at our parish) and I got to attend the weekly RCIA class for the first time as deacons this week. I'm sure the shine will fade eventually, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

I am amazed by the outpouring of support and love from parishioners, other Catholics in the diocese, friends, and social-media connections who know me only through my blog and Facebook. The comments have been very kind and supportive. I had more page views on my post "Weeping and Laughing" than I think I've ever had. (This blog has never been very high traffic.) I hope that I will be inspired to write more, and I will definitely finish the story of my spiritual journey now that these other matters have been wrapped up. A new homily will be coming tomorrow evening after the All Saints Day liturgy.

Here are some of the photos from ordination. Our very gifted photographer is putting the finishing touches on the others this weekend.

Here's a black-and-white version of us during the Litany of Saints.


And here I am giving my promise to the bishop of our diocese.

 
Dang, all that core work hasn't done a bit of good. Glad the dalmatics are roomy, even if they are a bit hot.
 
I have started a new blog, The Deacon's Diner, which will be strictly for homilies and reflections pertinent to my ministry. I've had requests for the homily I gave on Sunday, so this new blog will be a place where I can share them without all of the theology essays, poems, stories, and other stuff getting in the way.
 
Grace and peace to you all!
 
 
 

Post a Comment