Tuesday, March 01, 2011

I Done Gone West

I just returned with my friend Patrick from the Go West Catholic Men's Conference in Pendleton, Oregon. This event was the third annual conference, and the last that Bishop Vasa, formerly of the Diocese of Baker, will probably attend. I did have a chance to chat with him briefly and remind him of a gift my wife and I sent to him a few years ago (a ball cap with the message, "My other hat is a biretta."). He's a very engaging person, and we'll miss having him in a neighboring diocese. He gave an excellent talk on courage today.

Also visiting was Cardinal Raymond Burke, the Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura. He celebrated to masses with us, and he also chatted briefly with people while he was there. I didn't get a chance to introduce myself, unfortunately. In addition to his two homilies, he spoke on the subject of martyrdom as love in action.

I took some photos from my phone, but they didn't turn out so well, despite the fact that I was only about 20 feet away.



Music was provided by the choir of the Wyoming Catholic College and was fantastic. In addition to the two liturgies of the Eucharist, we said the Stations of the Cross on Friday night, an international rosary on Saturday morning, and had Adoration and Exposition, followed by Benediction on Saturday afternoon.

We met some great people (even some from our own diocese). I'll look forward to attending again next year.
Post a Comment