Monday, August 03, 2009

Reservations about the Reserve

As some of you might know, I applied to several police reserve programs a few months back and was contacted and interviewed for one department. O have actually come some distance through the screening process and was beginning to believe it very possible that I might be accepted.

However, I've been conflicted as well. The last semester at Holy Apostles coincided with a very in-depth course on Catholic social doctrine. Essentially, I took two graduate level courses along with my regular work/travel schedule. I resolved the isue of overloading on coursework. However, if I had been selected for reserve duty, I would be attending POST academy this fall--meaning I'd either have to try to maintain all three programs or I'd have to postpone one (most likely the theology class, which would mean a longer time to complete the MA degree). I kknew I had to make a choice.

Then I received the list of courses for the fall, and I saw two of the classes required for the degree. I knew what my would have to be. I removed myself from consideration from the reserve program. This option was a little difficult for the following reasons:

- I've wanted to be a cop since I was a child.
- I'm 44 and running out of time.

However, I'm also half of the way through the degree program and one year into diaconal formation.I really need to finish what I've started before I take on something new.

So I will be redoubling my efforts for the theology degree and perhaps increasing the pace a bit. I want to finish, write my thesis and complete my comprehensive exam in the next three years. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, I'll continue with my other training (self defense) and maybe do a bit more shooting to hone my skills.

And I'll do a lot of praying about the future.
Post a Comment