Friday, June 26, 2009

New Iconography for Tabernacle

When the daily chapel at St. John's was remodeled last year, there was some debate about where the tabernacle was going to go. A significant contingent insisted on moving it to a new adoration chapel. An equally significant contingent pressed to keep it in its original place. The latter got there wish. However, the tabernacle itself wasn't much to look at anymore. It looked like a little cupboard with a bit of Mother of Pearl around the edge. I had hoped to see something more dignified eventually.

Today I walked into the chapel to find that, indeed, Fr. Henry and the building committee had indeed planned for something more ornate. I'm not even really sure how to describe it. Tryptych? Miniature iconostasis? I don't know. Nonetheless, I think it's quite beautiful.

Post a Comment