Monday, April 13, 2009

15 Questions About Books Swiped from Julie D

The questions, not the books.

Answer and pass along.

1. Most treasured childhood book(s)?
Hate to say it, but I didn't have one (strictly speaking). However, I probably checked out Meet George Washington about a bazillion times from the school library until I was in third grade. I found a copy about 10 years ago and bought it.

2. Classic(s) you are embarrassed to admit you’ve never read?
The Odyssey.

3. Classics you read, but hated?
Tristram Shandy, The Pickwick Papers

Actually, I'm not sure those are classics in the strict sense.

4. Favorite genre(s)?
Historical fiction, fantasy, history, theology

5. Favorite light reading?
Stuff by Bernard Cornwell, S.M. Stirling, other historical fiction

6. Favorite heavy reading?
Tolkein
Jaroslav Pelikan

7. Last book(s) you finished?
O, Jerusalem

8. Last book(s) you bailed on?
The Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith.

9. Three books on your nightstand?
Transformation in Christ by Dietrich Von Hildebrand
The Life and Writings of Josephus
The Third Watch by Brock and Bodie Thoene (don't ask)

10. Book(s) you’ve read more than once?
Brideshead Revisited

11. The book(s) that meant the most to you when you were younger (ie, college/young adult)?
The Masks of God series by Joseph Campbell (sadly, because it reinforced my rejection of the faith)

12. Book(s) that changed the way you looked at life?
Transformation in Christ
Fire Within

13. Favorite books
I don't believe in favorite books.

14. Favorite author(s)
Hard to say. I tend to like (or dislike) whomever I'm reading.

15. Desert Island Book
I'm going to cheat. Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume II.

Bonus
Desert Island Book for Your Worst Enemy
I'm going to write something that people will doubt, but I don't have an enemy (at least I don't have anyone whom I consider an enemy). And if I did, I would probably wish that they were stuck on a desert island with the New Testament or Chesterton's Orthodoxy. My desire would be to convert them , not to punish them.

I hope that doesn't sound sanctimonious.
Post a Comment