Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Official TVYAM Band

Word has it that my band has been made the official TVYAM band. I think this might be due to the fact that Bob (the organizer) lost the other regular act that played at our Holy Grounds coffee house and our Theology on Tap sessions. Nonentheless, we're happy to oblige.

By the way, the band's name is Dark Night Lifting. I play bass and sing when we do amplified gigs and play acoustic guitar and sing when we play the smaller venues. It's a nice mix that forces me to work on both instruments. Who knows? Perhaps I'll start posting clips from our gigs. Right now, we do all covers, but if we get serious, we might start writing some original material.

The name came about when I was listening on a regional alternative Christain rock station about another local band, A Rotterdam November. The name (and the story behind it) reminded me of two things: St. John of the Cross's dark night of the soul, and the opening paragraph of Moby Dick, specifically "whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul."

Seems to fit.

Anyhoo, the point was to highlight a phase that many of use go through in life, the dark night through which we pass in our early adulthood to that point where we see a glimmer of hope and the beginning of faith.

If you're in the Boise/Treasuse Valley area, please join us at Perks of Life on Feb. 16. Fr. Hugh Feiss will be talking about St. Irenaeus of Lyons.

I'm all about them patristics!
Post a Comment