Monday, August 18, 2008

Whew!

Okay, my final for Synoptic Gospels is out of the way. I have a semester of deacon fomration stuff to focus on, and then I'll get back into theology proper. I suspect I'll either get my Christology core done, or take the course on the Trinity. I hear that one is a real challenge, so I want to take it when I have a light program ahead for deacon formation. Next spring might be perfect.

I haven't posted on this subject, but I've been on a weight-loss program for the past two months. I have an annoying little problem called insulin resistance, so my doctor was really putting pressure on me to do something about the flab around my midsection. That was also contributing to higher than normal bloodpressure.

As I mentioned before, I have a fairly rigorous workout schedule. I'm currently running four days a week, with about 30 to 45 minutes of aerobic/anaerobic activity as well (including the two boxing bootcamp classes I lead on Tuesday and Thursday mornings). So exercise is no problem for me. It's those dadburned carbohydrates.

I want on a very carb-restricted diet—essentially eating no simple carbs, no grains, no fruit, no sugar (okay, I cheat with my coffee and have a small amount of raw sugar), and no chips. Most of all, NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! While I'm fairly carnivorous, I can attest that these cuts were not easy. The most difficult thing was giving up fruit juices. However, fruit juices are mostly sugar. I don't really care for unsweetened iced tea, and I can only drink so much water before my eyeballs are swimming. The lack of options started getting me a bit down. However, I managed to find a line of low-carb drinks by Fuze. Saved!

Anyhoo, so far, I've knocked off about 20 pounds. My diastolic BP is down by around 15 BPM. Things are looking better. I've told my wife that I'm not stopping until I can see definition in my abs. Sadly, I still have a ways to go.

Now that my daughter is starting back to school, I might not have as much time to add to the regimen. If you have any suggestions for good workout programs, feel free to note them in the combox. I'm halfway tempted to go out and get certified for Crossfit, but I think I probably have enough on my plate already.
Post a Comment