Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Math for Liberal Arts Students

I mentioned in my response to Mark in the comments to the last post was that the one piece of useful information I learned in Math for Liberal Arts Students was how probability is calculated.

So you may ask, "Math for Liberal Arts Students? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

Yes, at BSU, there was actually a course titled Math for Liberal Arts Students. All students were required to take a math course, and I hate to admit that I didn't remember enough to get through a college level course on anything more than algebra or geometry—having punted math after Trigonometry for a creative writing class instead. Mrs. Mims (my junior English teacher) gave me you-know-what for that, and I have to admit that she was right. I tell that to my daughter now, and she is bound and determined to take calculus in her senior year.

Anyway, the class was an interesting combination of theory and history of mathematics. We played around with various numeric systems, goofed around with set teory a bit, and others had adventures in math. Many students thought it was a complete waste of time, but I rather enjoyed the diversion from my normal course of studies.
Post a Comment