Saturday, April 12, 2008

In the face of Dawkins' rigorous logic...

... I have no other choice but to abandon my faith.








BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, sorry, but I couldn't resist.

I intended to have this book finished by today, but frankly, every time I pick it up, I think, "This is an hour of my life I will never get back!"

That's a pretty selfish way to look at it, but there it is. So I took back the copy I had (which I couldn't check out again) and found another copy so I could actually wrap up this analysis. Right next to it, I found a copy of McGrath and McGrath's The Dawkins Delusion? I've been waiting to read any responders to Dawkins until I can formulate and post my own thoughts. However, I got a kick out of the quote by Michael Ruse (author of Darwinism and Its Discontents) on the cover of this book: "The God Delusion makes me embarrassed to be an atheist, and the McGraths show why."

I do have to say that Dawkins is readable. One just really has to be careful to sift the dross from the useful information.

Ruse also brings to mind for me that many atheists (probably most) are not of the militant mindset. I can appreciate that many people look at all the evidence and simply cannot see it (or don't accept it as definitive). Given the poor witness of many Christians (myself included), that doesn't surprise me.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I often use the prayer cards I receive in the mail as bookmarks? And that I often "forget" to remove those bookmarks from the library books that I return?

I'll probably be using Post-It notes to capture my thoughts and responses in this next copy. It'd be a shame if I forgot to remove them.
Post a Comment