Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Emmaus and the Liturgy (or "Doh! Came in second again!")

Something today drew my thoughts to Luke 24 and I was struck by the parallels of the story with the Catholic liturgy. The story itself takes place on the day of the resurrection, a Sunday. This much is confirmed in both Luke and Matthew. The first part, the Liturgy of the Word, parallels Christ's interpretation of the Old Testament scriptures to the two disciples. The second part, the Liturgy of the Eucharist, parallels the events at the table, when Christ essentially re-enacts the Passover meal, then disappears. The act of breaking the bread opens the eyes so that they can see Christ's living presence in front of them.

I thought I had something unique here, until I found this on the web site for St. Paul's Center for Biblical Theology.

Well, at least I'm in good company.
Post a Comment