Sunday, January 21, 2007

That goes for our priests and deacons, too!

That is, the combox posting.

Based on Fr. John's excellent homily today, I have to wonder if some of the parish staff have come across my blog. I got a somewhat chilly reception from some quarters today, and Fr. John also specifically mentioned blogs. Given all the activity in the local blogosphere concerning Mass last week, that should come as no surprise.

So, if you're a priest, deacon, pastoral associate, or parish staff member of St. John's, I welcome you. Please feel free to leave comments. This blog is not just about me spouting off. It's a means for me to seek clarification and feedback. I also have a rather strict sense of propriety concerning blog courtesy. I essentially won't tolerate bad behavior from anyone. All comments must be offered with charity, or they won't stay in the combox. However, contrary opinions about my views or those of other commenters are welcome and encouraged. So if you want to correct me for something I've written, please feel free to do so, so long as you offer the comments with charity.

Also, I would like to say something about a phrase that's thrown about quite a bit, particularly by those who claim a "Spirit of Vatican II®" that seems to diverge considerably from the documents of Vatican II. The phrase is "active participation."

Far too often, active participation is expected in Mass in ways that were never intended by the drafters of the conciliar documents. However, other forms of active participation often don't seem welcome, particularly when they have to do with the interpretation of Church doctrine or the norms of the liturgy.

This blog is one arm of my active participation in the life of the Church. What I post here is not meant to tear anyone down. It's meant to defend our faith as our first pope, St. Peter, exhorted us to do. I'm always open to correction on the matters on which I post. However, I take my lead not from personal opinion or secular reasoning but from the magisterial authority of the Church. If what I'm told runs counter to what I read in the Catechism, in scripture, in the writings of the Church fathers, or the encyclicals and publications of the Holy See, then I will resist it. I do so, not out of a stubborn refusal to listen to other views, but because I believe I'm called to seek the truth, and I believe the truth subsists in the doctrines of our faith.

And there can be only one truth.

So, welcome again. Pax Christi.

[Technorati tags: Christianity, Catholic, Catholicism]
Post a Comment