Tuesday, January 30, 2007

New blog name!

After running across yet another blog title "This space intentionally left blank," I decided I have to make a move. At first, I thought I'd insert "Catholic" in between "This" and "space" so the title would be "This Catholic space intentionally left blank." That really just didn't do much for me.

Some of the recent debates in the local parish have focused on a divide between progressives and conservative or orthodox parishioners. One of the problems is that those of us who are more conservative are frequently accused of being pharisaical—too bound up in the Law or too legalistic. This morning on my return from dropping my daughter off at school, I thought about Christ's reference to phylacteries when He berates the scribes and Pharisees in Matthew 23:

5 They do all their deeds to be seen by men; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, 6 and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues, 7 and salutations in the market places, and being called rabbi by men.


Phylactery is the Greek term. The Hebrew word in Tellefin. Here's what they look like:



And that is the inspiration for the blog name. I hope it causes no offense to anyone.

Sometimes I'm a tad dogmatic, and it shows. I think that's appropriate for someone who intends to get a degree in dogmatic theology. In everything, I try to understand the best I can and represent the faith as best I can. I think of it as a healthy respect for the law, but it comes with a great love for the Truth. I hope that dimension shines through as well.

UPDATE: Greetings, all you Happy Catholic readers. Feel free to let me know what you think of the new name.
Post a Comment