Sunday, January 14, 2007

Dissent from the Pulpit

UPDATE 2 (4/27/07): I've noticed that someone from Boise with a Velocitus account keeps coming back to this page. It's been three months since I posted this message, and frankly, I've moved on, and I hope others from the parish have as well. If you simply want to read what I'm posting, I'm happy that you've dropped by. You can see my most recent posts by going here. If you're looking for some new complaint or offense, well, I certainly hope not to offer it, but I would encourage you to move on, too. We have more important things to do than dwell on past errors. There's a world that needs to know Christ, and we should be focusing on that.

Pax Christi.

Bill

UPDATE: If you are on the parish staff, please feel free to read the rest of the blog, particularly this.

We has an unfortunate experience at Mass today. One of our deacons, responding to the rescinding of the indult allowing extraordinary ministers to purify the vessels, gave a rather rambling "homily" talking about how the Church hierarchy had delivered a slap in the face to us and essentially advocating open dissent against Church authority. He added insult to injury by genuflecting to the congregation.

Needless to say, we weren't impressed. Although there was some support for his comments, I suspect there was more outrage, if the conversations in the parish hall afterward were any indication. Mark and John at Dominican Idaho both share their perspectives. I'm still trying to decide how I want to respond.

[Technorati tags: Christianity, Catholic, Catholicism, Church History]
Post a Comment