Thursday, December 21, 2006

Books! Books! Books!

Okay, I did manage to make off with quite a few new books on my latest birthday, and I picked up a few more with a gift card to Barnes & Noble. The big surprise was the three titles by Cardinal Ratzinger, including The Spirit of the Liturgy. I'm working my way through that now (along with four other books I've been picking at for a while). I can never read only one book at a time.

Rufus McCain will no doubt be happy that I have picked up The Moviegoer motivated largely by his constant trumpeting of the glories of Walker Percy. I had a copy of The Last Gentleman for a graduate course another lifetime ago, but for some reason we dropped it from the course list. I never got around to it, and that book somehow found its way out of my collection. Anyway, I'm happy to have another go at Percy.

I also picked up The Man Who Was Thursday (G.K. Chesterton) and The Loved One (Evelyn Waugh). Thursday is turning out to be rather interesting. I'm more familiar with British fiction prior to 1890 and after 1930, but this novel seems strikingly like the Continental fiction of the later period—a bit surreal, absurd. The Ball and The Cross struck me in the same way. I'm enjoying it nonetheless. I've been reading more theology and history lately, so it's nice to return to fiction for a time.
Post a Comment