Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Another Stirling Novel

I blame Dale Price for this.

Based on a recommendation he made to which I NEVER should have heeded ( stoopid!), I read Dies the Fire. Tonight, I wandered shaking and foaming at the mouth to Barnes & Noble to pick up The Protector's War.

Because I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for most of my life, I'm a sucker for pretty much anything set here (which doesn't include much). This series by Stirling runs all over my stomping grounds, so I felt compelled to check it out.

I think some of the details early on paint my locale (Boise) as a bit podunk with a backwoods, regional airport and a bunch of good ol' boys hanging out at the aircraft hangar. Of course, having recently traveled off to the place of a good portion of my childhood (Spokane, WA), I guess I can reasonably concede that were a bunch of podunk good ol' boys in these here parts.

I typically gravitate toward historical fiction or classic fantasy, but this is a nice blend of the two: lots of technical detail, both historical and practical, and plenty of the mythopoetic elements that make fantasy worth reading.

Anyway, now I'm hooked. Thansk a whole lot, Dale.
Post a Comment