Friday, August 18, 2006

Oy vei!

I have a confession to make. I like writing essays. Unfortunately, I like writing them under different conditions than which I'm currently operating. So that's my kvetch for the night.

My paper's mostly done. Which I guess means I'm slightly not done. Good thing, too, since my wife and I are leaving for a brief vacation on Sunday. My final is on Friday, and this semester will be completed.

I've been struggling with this decision, but I've decided to sit out again next semester. Both work and home life have put a lot of demands on me over the summer, and they show no signs of abaiting for the next few months. I hope to get back into it in the spring, then assume a more consistent schedule for my theology studies after that.

What that does means is that I'll be a bit more free to blog and to read something other than class texts. That's not so bad. Eliot keeps suggesting things I want to read anyway.

I noticed Julie D. was panning Waugh. When Pope Benedict released his first encyclical, she noted how she preferred John Paul II's style (which I find repetitive and verbose). I think there's a stylistic commonality between Waugh and the Holy Father, just as a very different one exists between Pope John Paul II and G.K. Chesterton. I think Julie likes the flowing language and the meandering prose of JP II. I like the directness and bluntness of Benedict and Waugh. I used to prefer less directness. I think my career path (technical communications) has beaten the joy of prosaic wandering out of me.
Post a Comment