Friday, July 14, 2006

Back With No Rattan Marks

I made it back last night after 32 hours in transit. That could've been about 7 hours shorter had United put me on a direct flight from San Francisco. Instead, they felt Denver would be a better route.

Because of the unscheduled delay in San Francisco on the way to Singapore, I had two days on the ground. I had barely managed my jet lag when it was time to return. I did et out a little on the second day. I attended Mass at Sacred Heart parish in downtown Singapore, about 6 or 7 blocks from my hotel.

Now, Singapore has a lot of Catholic churches, and most of them have an evening Mass. I was tempted to go to St. Theresa's, which has a monthly requiem Mass in Latin, but that church was considerably further by cab. I'd passed it to and from my business destination, and it looked like a beautiful church. So I chose Sacred Heart.

I will let the picture do the talking.



The liturgy was quite similar to what you'd experience in an average US parish using the the new missal, except that they do not hold hands during the Our Father, and they do not shake hands during the sign of peace but turn and acknowledge those close to them. The Liturgy of the Eucharist was celebrated more quickly, and the homily was quite a bit longer than what you'd typically get in a daily Mass at my parish. However, everything else was essentially the same.

Now I just need to play catch up. I have a paper due early next week and a daughter to drop off at summer camp tomorrow.
Post a Comment