Monday, May 08, 2006

Pillars of the Church?

Owen S. posted a reflection on his conversion from his Protestant faith over at the Catholic Catechism Dialogue Blog.

He notes this passage of Paul's from 1 Timothy 3:14-15:

I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these instructions to you so that, if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.


Paul makes the case for Sacred Tradition many times in his epistles (2 Thessolonians 2:15, 2 Timothy 2:2, Romans 10:17, Ephesians 2:20 to point to a few). A great presentation of the case for Sacred Tradition is here.

One of the things that convinced me to return to the Church was that Sacred Scripture upholds all that the Church teaches, either explicitly or implicitly. All of the prooftexts that same to condemn the faith of the Church, when presented in the larger context of the totality of Sacred Scripture become clear. Context is so very critical. Tradition is part of that context, but even without starting from Tradition, Sacred Scripture points us in that direction as its own foundation.

Oh yeah, and the whole history thing. As Cardinal Newman said, "To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant.” Carl Olsen has a great article on Cardinal Newman on Catholic Exchange.

As my latest posts indicate, I'm taking a graduate course on Catholic History this semester. So far, I'm enjoying the readings and lectures tremedously. It's been years since I've written a history paper. I hope the expectations aren't significantly different from literature and philosophy (disciplines with which I'm much more familiar).
Post a Comment