Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Rethinking my place in the blogosphere

I know my blogo-biological niche has been pegged by TTLB, but I feel the need to redefine my conceptual place here in St. Blogs.

I started this blog at the beginning of my theology studies to record my thoughts about what I was reading and watching. I still intend to use this venue for that purpose. However, I'm currently laying off the studies for a semester while I prepare to move into a new home. So now I need to decide what to do with this here blog.

I'm not really keen to share my opinion on every subject. To put it indelicately (and unoriginally), opinions are like a**holes—everyone has one. I'm also hesitant to open myself up to drive-by bloggings, as seems to be the trend at Chez Shea. I simply don't have the time, energy, or desire to bother with polemicists of any stripe.

I'm also not interested in providing another Catholic news portal. There are enough good ones (real and not so real) that I don't see a point. I also have a day job that does not entail research for writing projects (unless they're technical writing projects). So don't come looking to me for the latest from the Catholic rumor mill.

So, I guess the next question would be, why the heck do I have a blog?

Feel free to help me answer that question in my combox.

P.S. Looks like my test grades are in for Philosophy for Theologians, and I managed a not-too-shabby grade. I could've done better, but then, I it's been a few years since grad school, and I didn't have to work full time back then. Anyhoo, I know, at least, that I'm not a theology washout. Once we get this here home-purchase thingee situated, I hope to take a class on patristics or St. Thomas.

I hope 2006 brings you all much joy!
Post a Comment