Sunday, January 22, 2006

Apologetics and the Web

For those few who've dropped by before, you might've noticed a small change in the masthead. During morning prayer, I came across this reading in 1 Peter, and it helped me to put my ambivalence about Internet apologetics into a frame of reference.

I've enagaged in a number of discussions with non-Catholics, liberal Catholics, and traditionalist Catholics on various message boards and blogs, and I've simply stopped posting in forums. I don't think I do a poor job presenting the doctrines of our faith, but I do find that such dialogues (if they can be called such) too frequently devolve into arguing for the sake or argument rather than for the glory of God. It makes sense that people who feel passionately about their faith would argue vehemently for it, but I can't help feeling that far too often we lose the correct spirit. It's far easier to do in writing than it is when you have to look someone in the eye and talk to them as a real, live person. I've left off of Internet apologetics almost entirely because this medium just seems to invite cranks and snipers.

At the same time, I want to engage where I can. I'll try to share a bit more of what's happened in my life, how I got here from where I was, and where I hope to be going (in the short term, naturally). I'm also going to do my best to put Mark Brumley's suggestions from How Not to Share your Faith into practice.

Pax Christi.
Post a Comment